BESANT THEOSOPHICAL COLLEGE
Post Box No : 27, Madanapalle - 517325, Chittoor District, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Rabindranath Tagore
National Anthem  : Jana Gana Mana
Correspondent
Dr. N. Vijaya Bhaskar Choudary, Ph.D.
Rabindranath Tagore Jobs Rabindranath Tagore
Chronology

1913

 

Founding of the Theosophical Educational Trust by Dr. Annie Besant.

 

1913

 

Aug.14th Securing the site for the Besant Hall and Starting of Construction.

 

1915

 

July, 19th - Lord Pentland, Governor of Madras declared Open the Theosophical College.

 

1916

 

Starting of the First Scout Troop of South India by Mr. G. P. Aryarathna.

 

1917

 

June, 16th - News of the arrest of Dr. Besant in Home Rule Movement reaches College. Disaffiliation of the College from the University of Madras.

 

1918

 

July, College renamed as Wood National College in honour of Prof. Earnest Wood with affiliation to National University.

 

1919

 

Feb, 25th to March-2nd, Guru Dev Tagore stays in the College, renders Janaganamana, into English as the Morning Song of India, Mrs. Cousins sets the tune for the National Anthem.

 

1920

 

Establishment of Art Gallery Chitralaya by Dr. James H. Cousins.

 

1921

 

College strength dwindled to 20 and hence closed.

 

1922

 

Mrs. Margaret Cousins appointed as the Hon. Magistrate by the governor Mr. Gellette. Mrs. Cousins, the first woman J.P. in India.

 

1923

 

Revival of the College by the efforts of Prof. Earnest Wood.

 

1926

 

Upgrading of the College into First Grade College with Introduction of Degree Courses in History and Philosophy.

 

1927

 

Affiliated to Andhra University.

 

1928

 

Rukmini Vihara opened as the Girls Hostel.

 

1929

 

Affiliated to University of Madras, Gandhiji addressed a meeting near the Besant Hall.

 

1933

 

Sep. 30th Death of Dr. Besant at Adayar.

 

1934

 

Visit of Dr. Radhakrishnan , Vice-Chancellor of Andhra University.

 

1934

 

1934 - Oct 6. Installation of the Sculptures in Besant Hall .

 

1934

 

1934 - Visit of Dr. Rajendra Prasad.

 

1938

 

Visit of  Sri C. Rajagopalachari, the Premier of Chennai.

 

1940

 

Sri C. V. Raman addressed College students.

 

1941

 

Silver Jubilee Celebrations of the College.

 

1942

 

College students participating in large numbers in QUIT INDIA Movement.

 

1947

 

College Renamed Besant Theosophical College on the occasion of Besant Birth Century.

 

1948

 

Re affiliated to Andhra University.

 

1954

 

Opening of Jinarajadasa Stadium.

 

1956

 

Affiliated to S. V. University , Tirupati.

 

1960

 

N. C. C. Started.

 

1965

 

Golden Jubilee Celebrations.

 

1967

 

Starting of the B. T. Evening College. Golden Jubilee Block opened.

 

1973

 

Cousins Library Block opened.

 

1974

 

Visit of B. John Coats, International President of Theosophical Society.

 

1975

 

N. S. S. Started.

 

1977

 

Diamond Jubilee Celebrations.

 

1983

 

Introduction of Post-Graduate Courses in Commerce and Economics.

 

1989

 

Starting of Computer Courses.

 

1992

 

Platinum Jubilee Celebrations. Grant of Rs.10,00,000/- from the State Government.

 

1995

 

Completion of the Platinum Jubilee Block.

 

1996

 

Completion of Computer Science Block (Ground Floor) Introduction of U.G.C Sponsored Vocational Courses.

 

1997

 

Opening of Sericulture Block 1.

 

1998

 

B.C.A. Course Started.

 

1999

 

Starting of B.Ed., College RACE (Rukmini Devi Arundale College of Education) 2000 - Completion of First Floor in Platinum Jubilee Computer Science Block.

 

2001

 

Renaming of Computer Science Block as Smt. T. N. Anasuya Devi & Sri T. N. Raghunatha Reddy Center for Information Technology.   Introduction of B.Sc., Bio-technology Course.

 

2002

 

Introduction of M.Sc., Computer Science and M.Sc., Information Systems Courses. Installation of 100 KVA Transformer donated by Sri. Gunipati Ramaiah, Honourable Member of Parliament Rajampet Constituency for the exclusive use of the College.

 

2003

 

Introduction of M.Sc., Mathematics Course. Completion of construction of 22000 ltrs capacity Over Head Tank, construction of new 62.5 KVA Diesel Generator Room and Guard Room.

 

2004

 

Completion of construction of Seminar Hall, Ladies Waiting Room & Men's Room in the Second Floor of Centre For IT Block. Sinking of Bore well in the Eastern Part of the College, near PJ Block and Pipe line is laid to pump water into the 22000 ltrs Capacity Over Head Tank. Bio-technology Laboratory with all the latest equipment & amenities is shifted & housed in the CIT Block. Inauguration of New Building for Rukmini Devi Arundale College of Education, constructed on the Trust Land in Shivalayam Road. Sri. D. Kodandapani,Correspondent declared open the New Building on 18-08-2004.

 

2005

 

Introduction of Six UGC Sponsored Career Oriented Programmes. Construction of Central Hal on the First Floor of General Library Building (Dr. Cousins Block) with the UGC Development Grant. Sri. T. N. Raghunatha Reddy, Vice-president, Governing Body declared open the  building on 20.11.2005.

 

2007

 

On 15th February 2007 Dr. J. Mangamma, Vice-president, Governing Body declared open the Women's Hostel Building constructed with the Special Grant from the University Grants Commission. The Hostel is named as SANKARA MENON HOSTEL.

 

2010

 

Introduction of Master of Arts in English and Master of Science in Organic Chemistry.

 

2011

 

Inauguration of Prof. ERNEST WOOD Hostel Building constructed with the Special Grant from the University Grants Commission on 31st May 2011. Smt. K. Soujanya Kumari, Principal declared open the Hostel after traditional Pooja in the presence of Sri. D. Kodandapani, Correspondent. Dr. K. Kizar Mohamed Vice-Principal and Convener, UGC Committee was present along with the Members of Building Committee and the members of Teaching and Non-Teaching Staff.

 

2012

 

24th January 2012 Sri. N. Kiran Kumar Reddy, Honourable Chief Minister of AP visited the College in connection with the Gurudev Rabindranath Tagores 150th year Birth Celebrations and the completion of 100 years of writingJana Gana Mana. He unveiled the bust of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore installed just in front of the Tagore Cottage, where Gurudev stayed during his visit. The function was celebrated in a grand scale. The whole function was orchestrated by Smt. K. Soujanya Kumari, Correspondent. Dr. R. Thulasiram Naidu, Principal and Sri. M. Shajahan Basha, Honourable MLA, Madanapalle with the assistance of Dr. K. Kizar Mohamed, Vice-Principal, Major G. B. Karunaker Reddy, Vice-Principal, Sri. Y. S. Munirathnamaiah, PRO and Liaison Officer, BCT Managed Ed. Institutions and Teaching and  Non-teaching Members of Staff. Many Ministers, Sri. M. Venkaiah Naidu, BJP Leader and Sri. K. Chiranjeevi, the Telugu Matinee Idol attended the function and graced the occasion. Sri. N. Kiran Kumar Reddy, Honourable Chief Minister of AP was kind enough to announce  a grant of Rs. 6 crore for the College for Tagore Auditorium, Construction of Library, Reading Room and Meditation Hall related to Tagore Cottage and for the Construction of Compound Wall to enclose the College property.

 

2012

 

Introduction of M. Sc., Physics and M.Com (SFC) Courses